Friday 19 November 2010

minimal pair sentences: /e/ and /æ/

Here's a list of minimal pair sentences containing words contrasting /e/ and /æ/:
(as at 19th November)
'ear this!
  1. You can't say dad/dead on a gravestone.
  2. Charles confesses: I love Alan/Ellen.
  3. Will the man/men come?
  4. This pan/pen leaks.
  5. They bought a lot of jams/gems from the specialty shop.
  6. He was sanding/sending some furniture when I called.
  7. I like Barry's/berries best.
  8. I hope you will land/lend me a fish.
  9. We had Brad/bread for lunch.
  10. It's easy to get feta/fatter. (GB only)
  11. I can't find the kettle/cattle.
  12. The letter/latter might arrive tomorrow.
  13. Don't pet/pat that dog.
  14. Some ten/tan leather gloves were stolen.
  15. He's a very fleshy/flashy person.
  16. Benn/Ban on smoking ads.
  17. Mothers are worried about creche/crash kids.
  18. This is the latest Texas/taxes survival guide.
  19. Celebs are not opposed to the pleasures of the flesh/flash.
  20. We had bread/Brad for lunch.
  21. I hate nets/gnats over my bed.
  22. It was a lonely trek/track through the forest.
  23. The police have arrested a rebel/rabble leader.
  24. What about some celery/salary?
  25. It ends as an elegy/allergy. (GB only)
  26. They kept/capped the price.
  27. This melody/malady gives me a headache.
  28. It's a new pedal/paddle that you need.
(as at 24th November)
  1. I formed a small bend/band.
  2. My wife sometimes gets into an expensive/expansive mood.
 (mess-mass, bet-bat, Ken-can, band-bend, fed-fad) BTW: This is a treasure trove for finding minimal pairs. Thank you, John Higgins!

    3 comments:

    1. Thank you so much. These sentences are very helpfull

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much for providing these sentences. Anyway, do you know where can I find the audio format of consonant minimal pairs in sentences or dialogue and/or in texts? I really need it for exercise. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete